Allegheny Technologies Incorporated was created in November 1999 when Allegheny Teledyne completed a major transformation and reconfiguration of the company. Teledyne Technologies Incorporated (www.teledynetechnologies.com) and Water Pik Technologies (www.waterpik.com) were spun off as free standing public companies.
Allegheny Teledyne Incorporated came into existence August 15, 1996 with the combination of Allegheny Ludlum Corporation and Teledyne, Inc.
Allegheny Ludlum dates to the Revolutionary War. Its earliest ancestry, Pompton Furnace, furnished cannonballs to the Continental Army. Another ancestor teamed with General Electric in 1922 to produce the first melt of low carbon, 12 percent chromium stainless steel distribution.
Five years later, the company’s stainless steel was selected for New York City’s Chrysler Building, the first major architectural use of stainless steel.
Allegheny Ludlum became an independent company in 1980 when Richard P. Simmons, former Chairman of Allegheny Technologies, led a management buy out from its then parent company. It became a public company in 1987.
Teledyne was founded in 1960 by Henry Singleton and a group of investors. It became a public company in 1962. Under Singleton’s leadership, Teledyne purchased numerous companies primarily in the specialty metals, aviation, electronics, industrial and consumer areas. At one time, more than 100 smaller companies were grouped under the Teledyne corporate name.